Sprouting beans and lentils is a good way to get the most out of them in terms of digestibility and nutrients. I often add sprouted beans to Chinese meals and salads, but little one loves his pasta so thought it would be a nice combination to try.
This recipe is vegan and gluten free as I used a brown rice pasta, although you can use any type of pasta – I found some amazing sprouted pastas the other day at the local health food shop which I may have to try. It is full of protein from the beans as well as three portions of vegetables. A great quick meal for work nights, and the sauce can be frozen up to make for an even quicker meal.
Ingredients for Spicy Sprouted Beans Pasta:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 8-10 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 large yellow pepper
- 250g sprouted beans and lentils (this is about 100g dry beans, sprouted for 4-5 days – I use the Bio-Snacky Sprouting Jar)
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 1/2tsp ground chili flakes
- 500g brown rice pasta (or any pasta you choose)
- Salt to taste
Method for Spicy Sprouted Beans Pasta:
- Add the pasta to a large saucepan of boiling salted water and cook for 8-10 minutes, then drain and set aside (or cook alongside the sauce);
- Pour the oil into a heavy based pan and add the spring onions and garlic and gently fry for 2 minutes;
- Next add in the chili flakes, sprouted beans, and yellow pepper and fry for a further 2 minutes;
- Add both the chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock as well as the salt and simmer for 10 minutes;
- Pour the sauce over the drained pasta and return to the heat for a further 2 minutes.
This can be served with grated cheese on it, but is delicious just as it comes.