- 12 oz (340 g) pinto beans
- 8 oz (225 g) belly pork
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and slices
- 1 red and 1 green sweet pepper, quartered, pith removed and sliced
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 teaspoons chilli sauce or 2 chillies finely chopped
- 1 lb (450 g) tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 8 oz (225 g) garlic sausage, sliced thickly
- Salt and pepper
- Soak the beans overnight covered in water.
- Drain the beans and put in a pan. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 50 minutes until tender. Drain and keep back ¾ pint (400 ml) of the cooking liquid.
- Brown the belly pork slices under a grill on both sides. Allow to cool a little and then cut into chunks.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions and peppers and saute until tender.
- Add the garlic, tomato puree, chilli sauce or chillies, pork pieces, beans and the reserved cooking liquid.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for another 50 minutes or so.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic sausage and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for another 30 minutes.
Serves 4 to 6 depending on appetite. Belly pork and garlic sausage relatively cheap to purchase and this is a hearty main course on its own.