- 2 lb (900 g) potatoes
- 2 lb (900 g) scrag or neck lamb
- 2 lamb kidneys
- 1 large onion
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pint boiling water or lamb stock
- Melted dripping or margarine
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4.
- Wipe and trim the meat of surplus fat and cut into serving pieces.
- Wash skin and core the kidneys.
- Peel and thickly slice the onion and potatoes.
- Grease a casserole dish and arrange a layer of potatoes in the bottom.
- Put the lamb, kidneys and onions on the top and season to taste.
- Add the boiling water or stock.
- Cover with thick slices of potatoes and brush with melted dripping or margarine.
- Put a lid on the casserole and transfer to the oven.
- Cook for about 2 1/2 hours, removing the lid of the casserole for the last 30 minutes or so to brown the potatoes.
Makes 4 large portions.