- 2 large tomatoes
- ½ turnip
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 rasher streaky bacon – chopped
- 1 or 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 2 pints of vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- Sprig of thyme
- Sprig of parsley
- Blade of mace
- Bay leaf
- 1 oz macaroni
- ½ small white cabbage
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Skin the tomatoes, clean and prepare the turnip and celery. Slice the vegetables finely.
- Melt the butter in a pan and fry the chopped bacon and then the sliced vegetables.
- Add the crushed garlic, stock, salt and pepper and the herbs tied in a piece of muslin.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Add the washed macaroni (small cut is best) and the finely shredded cabbage.
- Simmer gently for another 30 minutes.
- Add the chopped parsley just before serving.
Nice if served with grated cheese handed around separately.