- 4 oz macaroni
- 1 oz butter or margarine
- 1 oz flour
- ¾ pint full or semi-skimmed milk
- 4 oz grated mature cheddar cheese
- Salt and cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon made mustard
- Browned breadcrumbs
- Parsley and sliced tomato for garnish
- Break the macaroni into short lengths and cook in boiling salted water until just tender.
- Melt the fat in a pan, add the flour and blend well. Cook for a minute or two without colouring.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring all the time. Bring to the boil and boil for 3 minutes.
- Add 3 oz of the grated cheese, the mustard, salt and pepper and macaroni. Mix well.
- Pour into a greased ovenproof dish. Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese and the breadcrumbs on top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 7 (425°F/220°C) for about 20 minutes until brown.
- Alternatively brown under a hot grill.
- Garnish with sprigs of parsley and sliced tomato.
Nice served with a green salad. Very filling.