- 8 oz macaroni
- 2 lb ripe tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- Salt and pepper
- 8 oz streaky bacon
- 4 oz grated mature cheddar cheese
- Put the macaroni into a pan of boiling salted water and cook until just tender.
- Put the tomatoes into boiling water, skin, and then put through a blender to make a tomato sauce base.
- Gently fry the onion, cut the bacon into small pieces and then add to the onion. Continue to fry for a minute or two.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the onion and bacon, season with salt and pepper (and garlic if you like it). Gradually bring to a simmer.
- Drain the macaroni and put into an ovenproof dish.
- Pour the sauce over the macaroni along with half of the grated cheese and mix well.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese over the top and put into a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 6 (200°C/400°F) f0r about 25 minutes.