- 3 oz butter
- 1 small onion
- 6 to 8 chicken livers, depending on size
- 6 oz mushrooms
- 1 small red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 12 oz arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 pints boiling chicken stock (Oxo cubes are fine)
- 2 oz grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 medium glass dry white wine (optional)
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Quarter and de-seed the pepper and cut into thin slices. Wash and chops the mushrooms, including the stalks. Clean and chop the livers.
- Heat half of the butter in a large heavy pan and add the onion. Fry until it begins to soften.
- Add the livers, mushrooms, red pepper, salt, pepper and lemon juice and cook over a moderate heat for about 5 minutes.
- Make up the chicken stock and ensure it is boiling hot.
- Stir the rice into the pan with a wooden spoon and cook for 4 or 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the stock, stirring well but gently and continue cooking until all of the stock has been absorbed into the rice and the rice is cooked but still has a bite to it.
- If you’re using the wine, stir in and cook for a couple of minutes longer until it is absorbed.
- Take from the heat, add the other half of the butter and about half of the cheese.
- Stir and serve hot with the rest of the cheese passed around separately.