- 2 oz butter
- 2 medium or 1 very large onion
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 lb ripe tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 dessertspoon finely chopped basil or parsley
- 1½ pints vegetable stock
- Small knob of butter
- ¼ pint single cream
- Peel and finely chop the onion(s), heat the butter in a pan and add the onions and cook gently until soft but not brown.
- Sprinkle in the flour, stir well and continue cooking for about 3 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Skin and coarsely chop the tomatoes and add to the onions along with the garlic (crushed), salt, pepper, sugar and basil or parsley.
- Bring to a gentle boil and then lower the heat and simmer until the tomatoes have turned pulpy.
- Heat the vegetable stock to a boil and then add to the pan and cook for about another 20 minutes.
- Rub through a sieve and return to the pan, bring back to a gentle boil and then add a knob and butter and the cream.
- Stir well and serve.
Serves 4 – Make it into a meal on its own by serving with toast or croutons and passing a bowl of grated cheese around.