- 1 lb pork sausagemeat
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lb potatoes (ones what mash well)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 oz butter
- ½ pint full or semi-skimmed milk
- 3 oz grated mature cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Wash, peel and quarter the potatoes and cook in boiling water until they are soft.
- Drain and mash the potatoes and, whilst still hot, add the parsley and butter and beat well.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the sausagemeat and onion.
- Crack and beat the eggs together.
- Transfer the potato mash to the pan with the sausagemeat and onion and mix together.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in 2 oz of the grated cheese.
- Add enough milk to cover the mixture.
- Pour into a greased baking dish and sprinkle the top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 4 (180°C/350°F) for about 30 minutes until the top is brown and crisp.
- Serve hot.
Makes 4 very hearty portions or 6 smaller ones.