- 1 lb cold white long grain cooked rice
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil (peanut oil works well)
- 2 oz bacon
- 1 onion
- 2 oz cooked peas
- 4 spring onions
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- To cook the rice – put the rice in a saucepan and add water in the proportion of 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water. Add salt to taste. Cover, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer until all of the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- In a small bow beat the eggs and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan or wok. Pour the eggs into the pan and cook until that are almost set. Slide onto a plate and chop coarsely.
- Peel and chop the onion and chop the bacon into small pieces. Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan, heat, and add the onion and bacon. Fry for about 4 minutes until the onion is tender and the bacon cooked.
- Add the cold rice with the cooked peas, 4 coarsely chopped spring onions and the chopped egg.
- Stir continuously and continue frying for about 3 minutes or until the ingredients are heated through.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon soy sauce and serve whilst still hot.
Serves 4 – Any cooked meats, fish and vegetables can be added to this dish. The main trick is that the rice must be cold and the eggs cooked and chopped as per an omelettte.