Ingredients for Bacon & Leek Quiche:
- 6 oz shortcrust pastry preferably made from wholemeal flour
- 1 lb leeks
- ¼ lb (4 oz) bacon
- 2 large eggs (preferably free-range)
- ¼ pint full or semi-skimmed milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
Method for Bacon & Leek Quiche:
- Roll out the pastry and use it to line a 8″ flan ring or dish. Prick all over and line with greaseproof paper and weigh down with beans, breadcrumbs or rice. Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 7 (400°F/200°C).
- Place the flan ring on a tray and bake for 10 minutes and then remove the paper and beans/breadcrumbs/rice and return the flan ring to the oven for another 5 minutes to dry out and colour slightly. Remove from the casing.
- Reduce the oven temperature to Gas Mark 5 (375°F/190°C) and make the filling.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces. Fry gently in a pan until the fat runs. Chop the leeks and add them to the pan, cover and cook over a low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon/leek mix into the flan case.
- Beat the eggs and milk together. Season with salt and pepper and pour over the leeks and bacon. Sprinkle the top with the Parmesan cheese.
- Return to the oven on a tray and bake for about 30minutes until the filling is set and lightly browned.
Serves 4 – Make into a light meal by serving with a salad.