Ingredients for Spinach Flan:
- 6 oz shortcrust pastry preferably made with wholemeal flour
- 1 lb spinach
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large eggs – preferably free range
- 4 tablespoons plain yogurt
- ½ lb plain cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Method for Spinach Flan:
- Roll out the pastry and use it to line a 8″ flan ring or dish. Prick all over and line with greasproof paper and weigh down with beans, breadcrumbs or rice. Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 7 (400°F/200°C).
- Place the flan ring on a tray and bake for 10 minutes and then remove the paper and beans/breadcrumbs/rice and return the flan ring to the oven for another 5 minutes to dry out and colour slightly. Remove from the casing.
- Reduce the oven temperature to Gas Mark 5 (375°F/190°C) and make the filling.
- Remove and discard the hard stalks from the spinach. Wash and put into a large saucepan with only the water that clings to the leaves from washing. Cover and cook on a low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Drain and press through a sieve using a wood spoon and then chop.
- Put the chopped spinach into a bowl along with the lemon, nutmeg and salt and pepper. Stir.
- In another bowl beat the eggs with the yogurt together and then stir into the spinach mix. Stir in the cottage cheese and parmesan and mix well.
- Spoon into the flan case and level the top. Bake on a tray in the oven for about 30 minutes until the filling is set and the top lightly browned.
Serves 4. Makes a light vegetarian meal with the addition of a salad.