Tomato Sauce is a great sauce to cook up in bulk as it is so versatile and can be added to so many meals. A sauce over meat, in a pasta dish, or even the base for a vegetable soup.
If you cook in bulk make sure to cool quickly and freeze in tubs or jars with space for expansion.
Ingredients for Homemade Tomato Sauce:
- 1 medium onion – peeled and chopped
- 4 oz mushrooms (optional)
- 1 can peeled tomatoes (mashed) or 1 lb fresh tomatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic (peeled and pressed)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- ¼ pint vegetable stock (or wine)
Method for Homemade Tomato Sauce:
- Put all of the ingredients into a blender and whiz until smooth. You may need to do this in batches.
- Transfer to a pan, cover, and simmer for about 25 minutes.