I recently went to a local women’s circle where one of the ladies had brought along a delicious gluten free lemon drizzle cake. Unfortunately when I went to recreate it I was out of lemons, but did have two sorry looking limes lurking in the fruit bowl. The result was incredibly tasty, and devoured by everyone within a day!
You could make this with normal self raising flour instead of the gluten free flour, and I imagine oranges would be just as tasty as lemons or limes – just use whatever citrus fruit you have to hand.
Ingredients for Lime Drizzle Cake:
- 8oz gluten free self raising flour (Doves works well)
- 5oz butter or vegan margarine
- 5oz sugar (I used coconut blossom sugar, but normal granulated is fine)
- 2 eggs
- 2 limes, grated and juiced
- 1 tablespoon sugar for drizzle icing
Method for Lime Drizzle Cake:
- Cream together the butter and sugar;
- Beat the two eggs together and then gradually add to the creamed butter/sugar;
- Add the grated lime zest and flour a little at a time, until a batter if formed;
- Line or grease a 2lb loaf tin and pour in the mixture (it is quite a heavy batter);
- Bake at 180 Fahrenheit for 18-20 minutes until golden brown – or until a skewer comes out clean;
- Remove from the tin and cool on a cake rack for at least half an hour;
- Prick the surface of the cake with a long pronged fork;
- Mix together the lime juice and 1 tablespoon of sugar and drizzle over the cake.