- 1 rabbit, jointed
- 1 large onion
- 2 teaspoons tomato puree
- Olive oil
- Flour for coating
- Salt and pepper
- Stock (chicken or game)
- Sprig rosemary
- Sprig thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb mushrooms
- 6 oz streaky bacon
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy, deep frying pan.
- Peel and chop the onion and fry with the rabbit pieces until a golden colour.
- Sprinkle the rabbit with flour, add the tomato puree, salt and pepper and enough stock to cover.
- Bring to the boil, add the herbs, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Wash and chop the mushrooms, cut the bacon into smallish pieces.
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 7 (425°F/220°C).
- Transfer the rabbit to an oven-proof casserole and strain the sauce.
- Spread the mushrooms over the top of the rabbit and sprinkle with the bacon.
- Pour over the sauce, cover and bake in the oven for about 1 hour (maybe longer if the rabbit portions are large or the rabbit is old).