Faggots are a great way to get more organ meats into your diet. A lot of people aren’t keen on the taste of liver, heart, and other offal, but find faggots to be flavourful and not as strong tasting. Don’t chuck away any left over stock from cooking them, this can be added to the gravy along with some fried onions.
This faggots recipe is a firm family favourite, especially comforting on a cold winter’s day. I have also made this in the slow cooker and find they take 4-5 hours on high to be perfectly cooked. Delicious served with onion gravy, mashed potatoes and peas or buttered greens.
- 1 lb pig’s liver (trimmed and roughly chopped)
- 12 oz belly pork (chopped)
- 2 medium onions (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 4 oz breadcrumbs
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- ¼ pint beef stock
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/350°F.
- Put the liver, pork and onions in a food processor and process until finely chopped. If you don’t have a food processor you will need to finely chop by hand or use a grater where possible.
- Tip into a large mixing bowl and stir in the breadcrumbs, egg, salt, pepper and mixed herbs until fully combined.
- With wet hands, shape the mixture into 12 patties and lay them in an ovenproof dish. Pour in the stock.
- Use a buttered sheet of foil to cover the dish (buttered side down). Crimp the edges around the dish to seal them.
- Cook in the oven for about 45 minutes until the faggots are cooked (the juices should run clear when they are pierced with a knife).
- Remove the foil, then turn up the temperature on the oven to Gas Mark 6/200°C/400°F and return the faggots to the oven and cook for a further ten minutes until lightly browned.
Serves 4 to 6.