- 8 oz dried butter beans
- 4 oz bacon
- 1 medium onion
- 2 sticks of celery
- 8 oz tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 small lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 4 oz mushrooms
- Soak the butter beans in1 pint of water, preferably overnight.
- Drain the butter beans and reserve the water.
- Chop the bacon, peel and slice the onion, chop the celery sticks, peel the tomatoes and cut into quarters.
- In a large pan, with a lid, gently fry the bacon until the fat runs. Add the sliced onion and celery chunks and fry, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes or until well browned. Stir in the paprika and cook for another minute and then add the tomatoes.
- Add water or stock to bring the reserved water up to 1 pint. Add to the pan along with the grated rind and juice of the lemon. Bring to the boil and add the butter beans. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and reduce the heat and simmer for about 2 hours until the beans are tender.
- Slice the mushrooms and add them to the pan. Re-cover and continue cooking for about 15 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked.
- Serve hot.
Serves 4 – Great with some crusty bread.