- 8 oz dried haricot beans
- 1 medium onion
- 8 oz carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- 4 oz sliced salami
- 4 oz sliced garlic sausage
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 or 2 bay leaves
- Soak the haricot beans in 1 pint of water, preferably overnight, drain and reserve the water.
- Put the beans into a deep pan. Bring the reserved water up to a pint with stock or water and pour over the beans. Bring to the boil and then cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for about an hour until the beans are just tender. Drain the beans.
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4 (350°F/180°C).
- Peel and slice the onion, peel (if necessary) the carrot and slice thinly. Chop the celery sticks finely. Cut the salami and garlic sausage into halves. Peel and coarsely chop the tomatoes.
- In a lightly greased casserole dish, layer the haricot beans with the onions, carrots, salami and garlic sausage. Put the chopped tomatoes on top and pour over ¼ pint of water or stock. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and put the bay leaves on top.
- Cover and bake in the oven for about 1½ hours, stirring occasionally.
Serves 4 – Another one that is great with some crusty bread.