Ingredients for Sweet and Sour Meat Balls:
For the meat balls:
- 1 lb minced beef or pork
- 3 sweet peppers
- 3 pineapple rings
- Salt and pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey or demerara sugar
- ¼ pint chicken stock (oxo cube is fine)
Method Sweet and Sour Meat Balls:
- Season the minced beef or pork and shape into small balls. Dip in seasoned flour and fry in hot oil until cooked and golden brown.
- Cut the peppers into strips (removing the pith and seeds) and saute lightly in a little oil.
- Cut the pineapple rings into 12 pieces.
- Blend the cornflour with the soy sauce, vinegar, honey or sugar, chicken stock and crushed garlic and pour into a pan.
- Add the green pepper slices and pineapple and heat, simmer until thick.
- Pour over the meat balls.
Serves 4. Great accompanied with cooked long grain rice or noodles. If trying to keep carb-count lower and increase veggies they also go well with spiralised courgette.