Liver and other offal are the most frugal of meats. Lamb’s liver has a very delicate taste, but if you still struggle try chicken liver as it is even milder and a more easy introduction to offal.
If you soak the liver in a little milk before hand it helps to remove and bitter or strong taste too – if you have cats they love the left over liquid (but be careful as too much milk can upset cats’ stomachs).
Ingredients for Liver and Tomato Bake:
- 1 lb lambs liver – thinly sliced
- 1 large onion – thinly sliced
- 1½ lb tomatoes – ¼” slices
Method for Liver and Tomato Bake:
- Lightly grease an ovenproof casserole dish
- Put a layer of onions on the bottom and season to taste.
- Add a layer of tomatoes and season to taste.
- Toss the sliced liver in seasoned flour and put a layer on top of the tomatoes.
- Continue layering with a layer of tomatoes at the top.
- Add a blob of butter and cover.
- Put into a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 4 (350°F/180C) for about 45 minutes.