Pea soup is a Winter favourite. Great for supping next to a warming fire after a day tidying up the allotment.
A simple recipe that is great for batch cooking and storing in the freezer.
Very frugal with the use of dried peas. You can forgo the bacon if vegetarian and it is still delicious.
Ingredients for Country-style Pea Soup :
- 8 oz dried peas
- 1 medium onion – peeled and finely diced
- 2 medium carrots – peeled (if necessary) and finely diced
- 2 leeks – chopped
- 4 rashers bacon
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pints water or vegetable stock
Method for Country-style Pea Soup :
- Soak the dried peas in 1 pint of cold water for about 8 hours (preferably overnight).
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and fry in butter along with the diced onion.
- When browned, add the other vegetables and toss. Continue to simmer for a minute or two.
- Drain the peas and put them into a pot with 2 pints of water or vegetable stock.
- As soon as the peas begin to boil, add the bacon/onion/veg mix to the pot and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer until done, stirring occasionally.