A great warming recipe that can be left in the slow cooker for easy-cooking. It can also me made in a pressure cooker if low on time and it still retains a lovely depth of flavour.
Ingredients for Beef & Rice Stew:
- 1 lb stewing steak
- 1 oz flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 oz oil/fat
- 2 large onions (peeled and sliced)
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 4 large ripe tomatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 pint beef stock (or 2 or 3 oxo cubes)
- 1 teaspoon Worcester sauce
- 4 oz carrots (peeled if necessary and finely diced)
- 4 oz peas (after podding)
- 3 oz long grain rice
Method for Beef & Rice Stew:
- Mix the salt and pepper with the flour.
- Cut the meat into small pieces and coat with the spiced flour.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and lightly brown the sliced onions and crushed garlic and then add the meat. Brown slightly on each side.
- Add the skinned, chopped tomatoes, stock and Worcester sauce.
- Cover and simmer for about 2 hours (adding the carrots after about 90 minutes) until the meat is nearly tender.
- Check that there is enough liquid (about 1 pint) and, if necessary, add additional stock or water.
- Add the peas and rice and cook for 20 to 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens and the rice is tender.
Serves 4. Very filling. The “broth” can be mopped up with some crusty bread or serve alongside some buttered greens.