Submitted by Yorkie
Ingredients for Chocolate Courgette Cake:
- 4 oz / 115g margarine or butter
- 4 ½ fl oz / 130ml sunflower oil
- 4 oz / 115g caster sugar
- 8oz / 225g soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 ½ fl oz / 130ml milk
- 12 oz / 350g plain flour
- 2 tsp / 10ml baking powder
- 4 tbsp / 60ml cocoa powder
- ½ tsp / 2.5ml ground allspice
- 1 lb / 450g courgettes, (peeled and) grated
- 1 tsp / 5ml vanilla essence
- 8 oz / 225g plain chocolate drops (I find that under 100g is enough in fact)
Method Chocolate Courgette Cake:
- Preheat oven to Gas 5 / 190C and line a rectangular baking tin (about 9″ x 13″) with non-stick baking paper.
- Cream the margarine, oil and sugars together until light and fluffy, then gradually beat in the eggs and milk.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cocoa and allspice together and fold gently into the mixture.
- Stir in the courgettes and vanilla essence, and spoon the mixture into the tin.
- Smooth the top and sprinkle on the chocolate drops.
- Bake in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes until the cake is firm and a knife pushed into the centre comes out clean. Lift out, cut into quarters or smaller squares while still warm, and then leave to cool.
I freeze in quarters, wrapped in greaseproof paper and then a layer of clingfilm. Doesn’t take too long to defrost and tastes just as good.