Recipe by Cara Martin
This isn’t so much a proper recipe as a throw together of all the odds and ends in the fridge that needed using up. It will work with pretty much any vegetables that you want to throw in, it is low in calories and full of goodness.
If vegetarian or vegan just skip the chicken from the recipe completely as it isn’t really needed, we just had 4 breasts that needed cooking up and hubby often feels neglected if fed too many vegetarian meals each week!
I also used canned chick peas not dried as they have been sat in the cupboard for a while, it is of course cheaper to cook up dried chick peas and use these if you have them in. Although we will probably throw this in with pasta when reheating, it would also be lovely with rice or in a baked potato.
Ingredients for Chicken Chickpea and Vegetable Pasta Sauce:
- 2 Courgettes
- 2 ½ Red Peppers
- 2 Large Onions
- Large Handful Flat Beans
- 300g Punnet Mushrooms
- Small Punnet Cherry Tomatoes
- 250ml Vegetable Stock
- 2 400g Canned Chopped Tomatoes
- Tomato Purée to Thicken
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 2 – 400g Canned Chickpeas
- Black Pepper
- Mixed Herbs
- Salt to Taste (I didn’t feel the need to add any as the veg stock cube already had salt in it)
Method for Chicken Chickpea and Vegetable Pasta Sauce:
- This is really simple to make. I just chopped up the vegetables and added to a large pan with the vegetable stock and chopped tomatoes and left to simmer and reduce for 30 minutes.
- Then, in a non-stick frying pan, I browned the chopped chicken breasts and added these to the vegetable mixture as well as the drained and rinsed chickpeas and cooked for a further 10 minutes.
- The liquor of the sauce was a little watery for how we like pasta sauce so I added some tomato purée to thicken and the black pepper and mixed herbs to taste.
We have large appetites and it has made enough for 2 people for 6 meals (12 individual portions) and these have been separated into containers to be frozen and pulled out when we want a home-made ready meal.