A cheap and simple family staple that can be served as a meal on its own, or as a side dish for a delicious curry.
Ingredients for Vegetable Pilau Rice:
- 2 aubergines (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- Olive Oil
- 1 large onion (peeled and sliced)
- 14 oz can of tomatoes (drained and mashed)
- Large pinch of dried parsley and mint (or a tablespoon each of chopped fresh parsley and mint)
- 1¼ pints vegetable stock
- 1 lb long grain rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method for Vegetable Pilau Rice:
- Sprinkle the diced aubergines with salt and put aside for 30 minutes. Rinse under cold running water and then pat dry with kitchen roll.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan and and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the pan and put to one side.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook for 4 or 5 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the tomatoes, parsley, mint and the aubergines and cook, stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 6 as a side dish or 3-4 as a main meal.