This mushroom and barley soup recipe is very simple and easy to prepare. It makes a hearty and filling soup suitable for vegetarians but the meaty taste of the mushrooms will appeal to carnivores as well.
Chopping the ingredients takes about 5 minutes after which you just leave it to simmer.
Ingredients for Mushroom and Barley Soup Recipe:
- 1 lb button mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 large tomato (chopped)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 stalks of celery (chopped)
- 4 oz pearl barley
- Good pinch of dried parsley
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 to 2½ pints water or vegetable stock
Method for Mushroom and Barley Soup Recipe:
- Put all of the ingredients into a large pan with the water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the barley is tender.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
This will provide 6 servings – serve with some home-made bread and you’ve a great winter lunch. It will also freeze well.