- 4 plump fatty pork sausages
- 4 oz self-raising flour
- 1 large egg
- ½ pint full or semi-skimmed milk
- Salt & Pepper
- Oil or dripping
- Sieve the flour, salt and pepper into a basin. Make a well in the centre and add the egg and half of the milk. Mix well. Add the remainder of the mile gradually, then beat the batter well. This is easier if you use an electric whisk.
- Leave to stand for about ½ an hour.
- Meanwhile fry the sausages lightly to release the fat and until they are lightly browned (remember they will continue to colour later on).
- Set the sausages aside and transfer the fat to a Yorkshire pudding tin along with more oil or dripping. Put into a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 7 (425°F/220°C) until the fat is smoking hot.
- Quickly re-beat the batter and transfer into the yorkishire pudding tin. Divide the sausages into two or three pieces and distribute them evenly in the batter.
- Put back into the upper half of the oven and continue cooking at Gas Mark 7 (425°F/220°) for about 35 minutes.
Small chops can be substituted for the sausages as a variation. Serve with either mashed potatoes and onion gravy or baked beans.