- Corn or olive oil
- 8 oz streaky bacon
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large green pepper
- 4 medium size ripe tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs or herbs of your choice
- ¾ pint vegetable or chicken stock (hot)
- Peel and finely chop the onion. De-rind and chop the bacon into small pieces. Core, quarter, de-pith and chop the pepper into ½” strips.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan/saucepan/wok that has a lid.
- Add the chopped onion and bacon and fry for about 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add the strips of pepper and rice and fry for about 1 minute, stirring, until coated.
- Blanch, peel and chop the tomatoes. Heat the stock (oxo cubes will do). Add the tomatoes and stock to the rice mixture. Stir and season with the herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to the boil and then cover. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and the liquid absorbed.
- Serve hot.
Serves 4 – A colourful dish.