- 1 tablespoon vegetable/corn oil
- 1 large onion (peeled and sliced)
- 1 lb minced beef
- 1 medium cooking apple (peeled, cored and sliced)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (strength according to taste)
- 2 oz raisins
- 2 oz peanuts
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 eggs
- ½ pint full or semi skimmed milk
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the sliced onions and fry for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the minced meat with the chopped apple and continue frying, stirring constantly, for another 3 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, raisins, peanuts, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix well and cook over a low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a greased casserole dish. Press the bay leaves into the top, cover and cook in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 4 (350°F/180°C) for 45 minutes.
- Beat the eggs with the milk. Remove the cover from the casserole, discard the bay leaves and pour the egg and milk mixture over the top.
- Return the casserole to the oven but leave uncovered. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes until the top has set.
Serves 4 – A version of a South African dish, similar to moussaka.