- 6 oz bread (preferably wholemeal)
- 3 eggs
- ¼ pint milk
- 4 oz mature cheddar cheese (grated)
- Salt and pepper
- 3 or 4 ripe tomatoes (depending on size)
- Cut the bread into small cubes (about ½” square).
- Lightly grease a 2 pint ovenproof dish and put the bread evenly into the bottom.
- In a bowl mix together the eggs and milk. Add the grated cheese and season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Pour the mixture over the bread cubes and let the cubes stand for about 15 minutes so that the mixture soaks into the bread.
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 6 (400°F/200°C).
- Slice the tomatoes and spread them over the top of the bread/cheese mix (they’ll sink a bit).
- Put into the pre-heated oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the “custard” is golden brown and set.
Serves 4 – Goes well with either a green salad or green beans.