Submitted by Cazzy
I’ve used this recipe as a marinade for chicken and prawns, a sauce for veggie stir fries, used it instead of creole sauce for jambalaya, added it to curries, and used as a dipping sauce.
Roasting the tomatoes, peppers and garlic in the oven first gives more depth to the sauce, but I’m a lazy cook!
Ingredients for Sweet and Spicy Tomato Sauce:
- 1lb tomatoes
- 4 red chilies
- 2 red peppers
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 medium onions
- ½ cup of sugar
- ¼ cup of vinegar
- Salt (soy/fish sauce work well too)
- 1-2 tbls oil
Method for Sweet and Spicy Tomato Sauce:
- Heat the oil and add the onions, cook (without browning) until soft.
- Add the garlic, chilies and peppers, cook for 2/3 mins until soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 mins then blitz in the blender (you could pass it through a sieve if you want a smooth sauce) at this stage you can add some water if its too thick.
- Adjust the heat/salt/sweetness etc to suit your taste.