With restricted salary rises, fear of redundancies, rising costs with a weak pound many may be finding that overseas holidays or hotel based holidays in the UK are out nowadays.
But if you search around there are an incredible range of inexpensive youth, working age and retired persons holidays available at low or no cost.
Overseas Low Cost Holiday Possibilities
- If you just want the cost a the fare covered to do a back packing holiday, are not too bothered about the timing or short term notifications there are courier service company opportunities.
- Sponsored walks that reduce the cost of an overseas experience and raise money for a charity at the same time.
- Executive or technical support to an overseas company.
- Cruise line speaker.
- Lecture tours.
- There are numerous opportunities world wide for persons willing to help local communities and families at a volunteer and leader level. Some pay, some expect you to cover your own costs by raising money through Sponsors.
Start by doing a Google search of ‘Volunteer’.
- Leaders at children’s summer camps.
- Archaeological digs.
- Whale and dolphin watching.
- Reintroduction of bearded vultures in Spain
- Living with families to teach them English.
- Training villagers to set up artisan businesses.
- Advising communities on how to be self sufficient.
- Setting up allotments around villages.
- Setting up health service programmes.
- Support to travel for handicapped children.
- Guiding sight impaired persons on walking and sailing holidays.
Stay at home possibilities – ‘staycations!’
- Walking holidays from a home base. Circular walks to finally know your neighbourhood or take local buses or trains to different destinations and walk back.
- Give accommodation to overseas language students and be so enthusiastic in helping their learning that you get invited to visit their families for a stay.
- Sponsored walks, cycle rides etc.
- Guiding walks.
- Guiding tour groups.
Your pocket might be empty but the world awaits you!
By Dick Handscombe who has volunteered in several parts of the world and now lives a self-sufficient frugal life in Spain where he writes on Gardening and other subjects. He also has a web site – Gardening in Spain. © Clodagh and Dick Handscombe June 2010
Assorted Frugal Living Articles
- 5 Ideas to Raise Extra Cash to Save Towards a Summer Holiday
- How to be self-sufficient when travelling around the world?
- How to travel around Europe in your motorhome without resupplying?
- Day Trip to France – Savings from Buying in France
- Alternative Cheap Holidays & Free Holidays
- Cheap Train Travel Reduce Rail Travel Costs