Choux pastry is light and airy with a hollow centre cavity that is usually shaped through a piping bag to make both sweet and savoury dishes. Used for éclairs, cream buns, cheese puffs etc.
It isn’t the simplest pastry to make but choux pastry is well worth the time and effort to make. Follow the recipe carefully. Home made luxuries like chocolate éclairs and choux buns!
Ingredients for Making Choux Pastry:
- ½ pint water
- 4 oz (100 g) butter or margarine
- 5 oz (140 g) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- ½ oz (14 g) sugar (for sweet pastries)
Method for Making Choux Pastry:
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl and then re-sift to ensure the result is airy.
- Put the water and butter into a saucepan. For sweet choux pastry add a little sugar at this stage or for savoury you could add more salt and pepper.Heat slowly until the butter melts and then remove from the heat.
- Tip the flour into the pan stir until well blended.
- Put the pan back onto a low heat and stir briskly until the mixture forms a firm ball, leaving the sides of the pan clean. It’s important to cook the flour so it forms the right consistency. All the flour should be incorporated and none left on the sides of the pan.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. The mixture should end up smooth, shiny and firm enough to to stand in soft peaks when lifted with a spoon.
- Use immediately if possible but will keep for a few hours in the pan covered with a lid to prevent drying out.
Choux should be baked in a very hot oven and once cooked allow to cool slowly. Double check it has cooked all the way through as it may appear cooked on the outside but still be undercooked on the inside. Cooling too fast will often cause the pastry to collapse
Once cooled, fillings and toppings can be added.
More Pastry Making Guides, Tips & Information
- Basic Guide to How to Make Pastry – Tips for Better Pastry Making
- Fleur Pastry Recipe – How to Make Fleur Pastry
- Filo Pastry Recipe – How to Make Filo Pastry
- Cheese Pastry Recipe – How to Make Cheese Pastry
- Choux Pastry Recipe – How to Make Choux Pastry
- Flaky Pastry Recipe – How to Make Flaky Pastry
- Hot Water Pastry Recipe – How to Make Hot Water Pastry
- Lemon Shortcrust Pastry Recipe – How to Make Lemon Shortcrust Pastry
- Nut Pastry Recipe – How to Make Nut Shortcrust Pastry
- Potato Pastry Recipe – How to Make Potato Pastry
- Puff Pastry Recipe – How to Make Puff Pastry
- Rough Puff Pastry Recipe – How to Make Rough Puff Pastry
- Shortcrust Pastry Recipe – How to Make Shortcrust Pastry
- Suet Pastry Recipe – How to Make Suet Pastry