Puff pastry is noted for being difficult. True, it’s even harder than flaky pastry and does require a lot of patience! Having said that, just follow the recipe carefully and after the first time it will seem simple. It’s all in the technique. Puff pastry has more layers than flaky pastry. Being an all-butter pastry it’s rich but still very light. Ideal for vol-au-vent cases and sweet or savoury pie crusts and topping.
As it’s time consuming to make puff pastry, it’s advisable to make a large amount and freeze the extra in portion sized batches to save work another day.
You can buy puff pastry but making your own saves money and gives you control of the ingredients.
Ingredients for Puff Pastry:
- 8 oz (225 g) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoonful lemon juice
- 8 oz (225 g) butter
- Sieve the flour and salt together in a bowl and mix to a firm paste with the lemon juice and water.
- Turn on to a lightly floured board and knead well until the dough paste is smooth.
- Roll out into an oblong.
- Wrap the butter in a clean cloth and squeeze out any moisture if it’s home made and a little wet.
- Lay the butter on one half of the dough. Fold the other half of dough over the butter and seal the edges with the rolling pin.
- Roll out to a strip and fold the pastry in three, sealing the edges firmly. Leave covered for 10 minutes.
- Roll and fold the pastry seven times in all, leaving it covered in the fridge for 10 minutes between every rolling or every other rolling if you’re in a hurry.
- The pastry is improved if left wrapped in cling film in the fridge for several hours or overnight before using.
Tip: To keep track of folds, mark with a knife tip in Roman numbers – I, II, III, IV,V, VI (easier to do than our Arabic numerals)
More Pastry Making Guides, Tips & Information
- Basic Guide to How to Make Pastry – Tips for Better Pastry Making
- Fleur Pastry Recipe – How to Make Fleur Pastry
- Filo Pastry Recipe – How to Make Filo Pastry
- Cheese Pastry Recipe – How to Make Cheese Pastry
- Choux Pastry Recipe – How to Make Choux Pastry
- Flaky Pastry Recipe – How to Make Flaky Pastry
- Hot Water Pastry Recipe – How to Make Hot Water Pastry
- Lemon Shortcrust Pastry Recipe – How to Make Lemon Shortcrust Pastry
- Nut Pastry Recipe – How to Make Nut Shortcrust Pastry
- Potato Pastry Recipe – How to Make Potato Pastry
- Puff Pastry Recipe – How to Make Puff Pastry
- Rough Puff Pastry Recipe – How to Make Rough Puff Pastry
- Shortcrust Pastry Recipe – How to Make Shortcrust Pastry
- Suet Pastry Recipe – How to Make Suet Pastry