An easy to make pastry that is used for savoury vegetable, meat and fish pies. Potato pastry was very popular in World War 2 as rationing was tightened and it enabled the harassed housewife to stretch her flour ration with potatoes from the garden or allotment.
Potato flour can be bought today and cake makers might like to know that replacing a quarter of the flour with potato flour is supposed to be the secret of the perfect Victoria sponge.
I’ve not tried making this using a food processor or mixer but I think it should be possible. If you do, let me know how it works.
Ingredients for Potato Pastry Recipe:
- 3 oz (84 g) butter or margarine
- 5 oz (140 g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 oz (112 g) cooked potatoes
- Salt to taste
Method for Making Potato Pastry:
- Beat the fat until soft and work in the sieved flour, baking powder, salt and sieved potato.
- Work with the hands to a pliable dough.
- Turn on to a lightly floured board and roll out.
- Use for savoury pastries
You can make the pastry richer and darker in colour by adding an egg yolk. Adding some grated cheese (a hard, mature cheddar or Parmesan) will add a cheese flavour and a teaspoon of mustard adds a bite to the taste as does cayenne pepper.
More Pastry Making Guides, Tips & Information
- Basic Guide to How to Make Pastry – Tips for Better Pastry Making
- Fleur Pastry Recipe – How to Make Fleur Pastry
- Filo Pastry Recipe – How to Make Filo Pastry
- Cheese Pastry Recipe – How to Make Cheese Pastry
- Choux Pastry Recipe – How to Make Choux Pastry
- Flaky Pastry Recipe – How to Make Flaky Pastry
- Hot Water Pastry Recipe – How to Make Hot Water Pastry
- Lemon Shortcrust Pastry Recipe – How to Make Lemon Shortcrust Pastry
- Nut Pastry Recipe – How to Make Nut Shortcrust Pastry
- Potato Pastry Recipe – How to Make Potato Pastry
- Puff Pastry Recipe – How to Make Puff Pastry
- Rough Puff Pastry Recipe – How to Make Rough Puff Pastry
- Shortcrust Pastry Recipe – How to Make Shortcrust Pastry
- Suet Pastry Recipe – How to Make Suet Pastry