Easier to make than flaky pastry or puff pastry but has larger flakes and is not as light. It does, however, give a nice crispy crust. Uses include sweet and savoury pies, patties, turnovers and as an alternative pastry for sausage rolls.
This is a pastry I make often as a topping for a favourite dish, meat and potato pie. The slow cooked meat and par-boiled potatoes go into a large casserole dish which is topped with the pastry and oven cooked. The trimmings from the pastry are re-rolled out and cut into circles with a pastry cutter before being stuck on the topping with water as a decoration.
It’s easy to increase or decrease the amount of rough puff pastry – just remember the ratio of 3 parts lard, 3 parts butter to 9 parts flour. So: 2,2,6 for a smaller amount or 4,4,12 for a larger amount.
Ingredients for Rough Puff Pastry Recipe:
- 9 oz (253 g) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 3 oz (84 g) lard or hard vegetable fat
- 3 oz (84 g) butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Cold Water
Optional for savoury dishes, good teaspoon of mustard powder and teaspoon of cayenne pepper added at the start with the salt.
Method for Making Rough Puff Pastry:
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl and add the fat, cut into lumps about the size of a walnut. Stir into the flour.
- Add the lemon juice and cold water to mix to a stiff dough.
- Turn on to a lightly floured board and roll out into an oblong.
- Fold one end up, leaving about one-third of the strip to fold down, seal the edges with the rolling pin and give the pastry a half turn.
- Continue thus until the pastry has been rolled and folded four times. Do not roll out more than four times.
- If possible leave for an hour in the fridge before using. Overnight is fine as well.
- Roll out and use for sweet and savoury pastries.
Tip: To keep track of folds, mark with a knife tip in Roman numbers – I, II, III, IV (easier to do than our Arabic numerals)
More Pastry Making Guides, Tips & Information
- Basic Guide to How to Make Pastry – Tips for Better Pastry Making
- Fleur Pastry Recipe – How to Make Fleur Pastry
- Filo Pastry Recipe – How to Make Filo Pastry
- Cheese Pastry Recipe – How to Make Cheese Pastry
- Choux Pastry Recipe – How to Make Choux Pastry
- Flaky Pastry Recipe – How to Make Flaky Pastry
- Hot Water Pastry Recipe – How to Make Hot Water Pastry
- Lemon Shortcrust Pastry Recipe – How to Make Lemon Shortcrust Pastry
- Nut Pastry Recipe – How to Make Nut Shortcrust Pastry
- Potato Pastry Recipe – How to Make Potato Pastry
- Puff Pastry Recipe – How to Make Puff Pastry
- Rough Puff Pastry Recipe – How to Make Rough Puff Pastry
- Shortcrust Pastry Recipe – How to Make Shortcrust Pastry
- Suet Pastry Recipe – How to Make Suet Pastry