A delicious and rich pastry used for sweet and savoury pies, eg sausage rolls and cream slices. A little harder to make than most pastries as the flaky texture is achieved by kneading lightly, then folding and rolling the dough with dabs of the fat between to produce air pockets and help to separate the flakes.
Making flaky pastry may seem daunting but just follow the recipe a step at a time and you’ll get it. The resting periods are important. If it gets too warm, the fats melt prematurely and you won’t get the right flakiness.
It’s best rested in the fridge, just put the dough onto a floured plate and cover with a piece of cling film to stop it drying out. Keep the fats in the fridge until just before they are needed as well.
Ingredients for Flaky Pastry Recipe:
- 9 oz (253 g) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 3 oz (84 g) butter or margarine
- 3 oz (84 g) lard or hard vegetable fat
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Method for Making Flaky Pastry:
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Divide the fat into 4 portions, so that there are two equal portions of lard and two equal portions of butter (or margarine).
- Take one portion of lard and rub unto the flour.
- Add the lemon juice and sufficient water to mix to a stiff dough. Turn on to a lightly floured board and knead lightly.
- Roll out to a strip and flake one portion of the butter (or margarine) over two-thirds of the strip of pastry, leaving a slight margin along the top and sides.
- Fold the pastry into three, folding over the uncovered third of the pastry first. Seal the edges with the rolling pin.
- Give the pastry a half turn so top is bottom; plate, cover and leave in the fridge or a cool place for 20 minutes.
- Continue rolling and folding using next a portion of lard and finally a portion of butter until the pastry has been rolled and folded 4 times.
- Plate, cover and leave in the fridge or a cool place for another 20 minutes..
- Roll out and use for sweet or savoury pastries.
More Pastry Making Guides, Tips & Information
- Basic Guide to How to Make Pastry – Tips for Better Pastry Making
- Fleur Pastry Recipe – How to Make Fleur Pastry
- Filo Pastry Recipe – How to Make Filo Pastry
- Cheese Pastry Recipe – How to Make Cheese Pastry
- Choux Pastry Recipe – How to Make Choux Pastry
- Flaky Pastry Recipe – How to Make Flaky Pastry
- Hot Water Pastry Recipe – How to Make Hot Water Pastry
- Lemon Shortcrust Pastry Recipe – How to Make Lemon Shortcrust Pastry
- Nut Pastry Recipe – How to Make Nut Shortcrust Pastry
- Potato Pastry Recipe – How to Make Potato Pastry
- Puff Pastry Recipe – How to Make Puff Pastry
- Rough Puff Pastry Recipe – How to Make Rough Puff Pastry
- Shortcrust Pastry Recipe – How to Make Shortcrust Pastry
- Suet Pastry Recipe – How to Make Suet Pastry