These are the latest home made fruit cheese, fruit curd and fruit butter recipes from the authors of the best selling Easy Jams, Chutneys & Preserves on the allotment garden web site. The links will open in a new window and take you directly to them.
Fruit Butters & Cheeses
Fruit butters and fruit cheese are old-fashioned names for preserves made with fruit puree and sugar. Generally the fruits used for jellies are also the best ones for butter and cheeses and they can even be made from the pulp left in the jelly bag after the juice has dripped. Two products from one fruit!
Fruit butters are soft and spreadable. They are a particularly useful way for dealing with a glut of wild fruits and, as less sugar is required for this sort of preserve, they are very economical.
Fruit cheeses are made from a stiff fruit puree. This is a good way of preserving fruit which has a lot of pips or stones. They use a larger proportion of sugar to puree than fruit butters.
Fruit curds are not strictly speaking a preserve, although you’ll find lemon curd on the shop shelf next to the jams. Whatever, curds are delicious and versatile. They make a great filling for tarts and cakes as well as thickly spread on bread and butter.
Because of the lightly cooked eggs in them, there are health implications and home made curds are probably best avoided by pregnant ladies, babies, younger children and the elderly or anyone who is at particular risk from salmonella. It is a very small risk, but nonetheless a risk.
Home Made Fruit Curd Recipes
Home Made Fruit Cheeses & Butter Recipes
Home Made Preserves
- Home Made Fruit Curd, Fruit Cheeses, Fruit Butters
- Home Made Jelly Recipes – How to Make Jelly Preserves
- Home Made Marmalade Recipes – How to Make Marmalade
- Home Made Chutney Recipes – Make Great Chutney
- Home Made Pickle Recipes – How to Make Great Pickles at Home
- Easy to Make Flavoured Oils & Spiced Vinegar Recipes
- Home Made Relish Recipes – How to Make Relishes
- Home Made Jam Recipes – How to Make Jam at Home
- Home Made Sauce Recipes & Home Made Ketchup Recipes